Thursday, December 20, 2012

Christmas Wrap-Up: Cookie (Recipe) Exchange

Who doesn't eat/make/love Christmas cookies?! It's practically an unwritten rule that as many Christmas cookies as can be made and consumed, should be made and consumed. But honestly, some of them take so much dang time, who really wants to spend countless hours making and decorating cookies?
Stock photo / q83
Therefore I will now share with you a relatively quick (to assemble and bake) recipe that is also thoroughly delicious, both in cooked and non-cooked form. Yes, I'm a self-proclaimed cookie-dough-aholic. And I'm taking this moment to digress onto that subject...

When I was a kid, a musician couple, the Covingtons, came to our church in Dallas to give a small performance. One of the songs they sang was "Cookie" which has a chorus proclaimed, "The cookie can't compete, cookie can't compete, no! The cookie can't compete with the dough." All of us kids loved that song the best and always sang it after that. And though I only heard that song the one time, that fateful chorus is always stuck in my head when I'm snacking on cookie dough. Because, let's face it, the cookie can never compete with the dough.

Drop Sugar Cookies

This recipe my mom gave me makes about 4.5 to 5 dozen yummy cookies. :)
Ingredients
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 cub vegetable oil
  • 2 3/4 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. cream of tartar
Directions
  1. Mix sugar, butter, egg and vanilla in a mixing bowl with a mixer.
  2. Add oil and dry ingredients, mix well.
  3. Chill dough for one hour.
  4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  5. Scoop out slightly rounded teaspoons and drop onto non-greased cookie sheet 1.5 inches apart.
  6. Press down on cookie with a glass dipped in granulated sugar. (I recommend green or red colored sugar!)
  7. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...