Thursday, November 30, 2017

Dressember 2017: My Story

When I first heard about Dressember, I knew I had to be involved. Fighting to end slavery and promote human dignity in a simple, yet meaningful way was something I could support. It was something I could do in the midst of an issue that can feel insurmountable. After all, speaking out wasn't a new concept for me.


I hated high school for lots of reasons, one being the times I found myself trapped in situations I couldn't escape. I experienced severe anxiety and powerlessness under the hands and voices of a couple of classmates. Classmates who were bigger and stronger than me, who would make obscene comments about my body, touch me inappropriately, or tell me that they were going to rape me. You can't get away when you have to stay in school, when they're in the classroom sitting next to you, and when your teacher doesn't notice. Meanwhile your mind tries to make sense of it all, telling you it's somehow okay, somehow not as bad as it seems.

Those days were dark. I felt cheap, broken, and invisible to the rest of the world. When I finally worked up the courage to tell my parents, I could barely put to words what had happened. My mind still tried to make it okay, excusable, normal. We reported the physical incidents to authorities, went to court, went home, and that was pretty much it. It took time for me to understand and come to a place where I could declare to myself that it wasn't okay, and that I wouldn't stand for that kind of treatment again. But in my teenage mind, I felt anything but powerful.

However, after it was all over, I did feel a measure of pride. Pride in myself, that I was able to do something. That I was able to tell, and that people believed me. Pride that I could walk into that courtroom, hear the plea and verdict, and know that what happened really wasn't okay, excusable, normal. Pride at the knowledge that maybe another girl wouldn't experience what I had experienced if this behavior was stopped.

It's been a long time since high school. In some ways, I still carry the scars, and the memories will never leave. But today I feel not only a measure of pride, but also power. Power that enables me to rise above that experience and use it to fight for other girls. They're girls I'll probably never meet, never see their faces, or know their stories. But that's okay, because they could be any one of us. Evil preys on all people without regard for who they are, where they live, what they do, or how they dress. That's why those of us who can speak up, must. We have to raise a voice for those who have been silenced.

As we move into another Dressember, I am grateful for yet another opportunity to use my voice for good. An opportunity to share my story, and speak up for those whose dignity has been stolen. An opportunity to take my experience, and see it redeemed for good. An opportunity to encourage others to come with what they have--whether it's one dress in their closet or $1 in their wallet--and use it to change the world.

So yet again this year I'm asking you, dear reader, will you join me? Will you stand with me? Will you speak alongside me? Will you do what you can for girls like me? If there's one thing I know it's this: none of us can do it alone. But together, we can go farther than we ever dreamed possible, and do more than we ever thought probable.

It's almost Dressember 2017. Let's do this.

Visit my Dressember fundraising page.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...