Thursday, January 25, 2018

A Queen's Broken Song

These days are heavy, and I've felt the weight of stories that have been told. I am inspired by the brave who have spoken out out, and they have helped me to craft something new. It's a little bit of poetry, a little bit of spoken word. If you want to read along while you listen, the text is below.

If you have been a victim, I want you to know, when you are ready, you can tell your story. It doesn't have to be today, or all at once, but I want you to know that there is a community that will listen and support you. You are not alone, you have a voice.



A Queen's Broken Song

I wrote this for the girls,
Even the ones I don’t know. 
Because I do know this:
It’s really hard to grow
And move past the pain
And speak truth to yourself
When all you feel is cheap
Like something thrown on a shelf.
   
"Be seen and not heard,
You don't have a voice,"
They've said all my life,
Like I don't have a choice.
As though I had no power,
Or purpose or goal
But in the quite moments
I was readying my soul.
   
To say it loud, join in with me now,
I’m a queen, I know I am.
A queen that’s worth more
Than just gem stones and glam.
A queen that’s respected
Who is given honor and love,
Not just by society or man
But God almighty above.
   
See He says I’m worth more
More than diamonds or gold,
Beautifully and wonderfully made,
Whether I’m young or I’m old. 
I am a queen, called by name
Given power and life
Given talents and gifts
Whether I’m single or a wife.
   
By this I’m defined,
Not by words or by deeds,
Or man's love and esteem
But by a Savior who bleeds.
Who calls me by name
And makes me His daughter
Because He paid my price
Like a lamb to the slaughter.
   
And now I’m redeemed,
Set free by the King
A woman of worth
With a song I must sing.
And a life I must live,
And a story I'll tell
'Cause I've only got one
And so I'll tell it well.
  
How people have tried 
Oh so hard to use me.
To take and to touch
And to make me to be
Something I know I'm not,
Whether by word or by power.
But something they forgot
In that darkest of hour,
  
Is that God walked with me,
More than a mile,
He's been there the whole time,
And He's seen what is vile.
He's felt my pain,
And my torment, it's true
That what was done to me
Was done to Him too.
  
Together we hurt,
Together we cried,
Together we lived,
Because One of us died.
Together we rise,
Together we stand,
I know that I'm safe
In the palm of His hand.
  
And I know that He loves me,
Which is why I can tell you,
Because of His grace,
That He loves you too.
And He wants you to change,
To become like His Son,
To leave your old life,
Because that battle is done.
   
The cross is what stands,
A reminder for sure,
That what is blemished 
Can in fact be made pure. 
He calls prodigals home,
Sets weary feet to dance,
And not just the good,
He gives each one a chance.
  
And that's my story,
A queen's broken song,
Made whole by the One
Who has loved her so long.
Made pure by the grace
He freely bestows
And now I can say,
I'm like a flower that grows.
  
More and more beautiful
Each day I become,
Not by effort or work
But because of the Son.
Because of His truth,
That transforms my heart
Because of His kingdom,
Of which I'm a part.
  
I wrote this for the girls,
And for the boys too,
For the men and women,
Because we all need You.
You change our lives,
You help us to grow,
And You love us more
Than we'll ever know.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...