Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Dressember 2017: The Recap

My fourth--and perhaps best--year of Dressember has come to a conclusion, which of course requires a recap post.


I say "perhaps best" not just because this is the most I've been able to raise in any one campaign (currently $2,071.08), or because over half of my supporters were first-time donors to my campaign. I say it not just because this year the World Changers team was the biggest it has ever been or because together we raised a combined $8,616.87.

I say "perhaps best" because sometimes in the fight, in the struggle, in the asking, I learn something about myself too. And sometimes I need that lesson more than I realize. Because sometimes scars aren't physical, and because sometimes when we're fighting for others, we find healing without even knowing it.


I say "perhaps best" because this year, I felt more empowered than I have in a long time. And I am reminded of what I can do.

So many times I, and other women, are told what we cannot do. We are put in a box, told to be a certain way, denied the ability to use our gifting, kept sidelined when all we want is to soar. I didn't realize the pain I was carrying from this denial, or how it made me view myself, until Dressember 2017 was coming to a close.

For the past several years (Maybe many? I honestly don't know.), I have felt like I could do more, give more, but I have felt anything but empowered. I have approached so many doors, only to have them slam closed in my face. I have questioned what I am doing countless times, or if I'm even good at really anything. And through it all I have felt my soul shriveling.

Dressember was a much needed reminder, a drink of glorious truth, that reminded me that I can. I can flourish, I can succeed, I can be good at something. I can bring something to the table, I can be of use. It may be simple--putting on a piece of clothing and talking about slavery is something anyone can do. But regardless, it is something, it is a way to make a difference, and I will accept it with open arms.


From here I feel like the sky is the limit. I feel like I can keep flying, keep doing, keep fighting. And what I want most is to impart that empowerment to others. I want other women to know that they can. They can use their gifts, they can make a difference, they can have a voice, and they can change the world. And I would love to have you join me.

Do you know a woman who is fighting for something? A woman who wants to do more? A woman in whom you see great strength, talent, or gifting? Speak that into her life. Even if all you can offer are words, use those words to build her up. Heaven knows she needs it.

To everyone who has supported me this month, from the bottom of my heart, thank you so much. Through your support, you have empowered me more than you can know. And I needed it more than I ever have before. Through that empowerment and support, you have helped me raise more money to fight for the freedom, rights, and empowerment of others. For that, I thank you.

If you are interested in giving to Dressember, my campaign page will remain open throughout January. If you feel led to donate, you can do so here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...