Monday, January 25, 2016

Join the Chalk Letter Challenge!

This month I've had a lot of fun practicing my brush lettering skills with the #BrushLetterPracticeChallenge hosted by letterer and Instagrammer Olivia. I love having a word already given to me that I can use for lettering practice. Sometimes I have a hard time thinking of good words to write, and this just makes it that much simpler.

Well, I decided to venture out into the world of creative challenges by making a challenge of my own! It's called the Chalk Letter Challenge and it's starting February 1!


One of the gifts I got for Christmas was The Complete Book of Chalk Lettering by Valerie McKeehan, and it has inspired me to work harder on my chalk designs. And that's where I got the idea for the Chalk Letter Challenge.

My hope in creating this challenge is to practice different styles of chalk lettering, and to also get creative with different design elements. And, I would LOVE it if you decided to join in! You don't have to have Val's book or fancy equipment or even an Instagram account. All you need is some chalk, a board, and the challenge prompts, which are below.

Here's how the Chalk Letter Challenge works: First, print or save the prompt image so you can access it quickly and easily each day. If you have Instagram, you can share the image by reposting it from my account, or by saving the image below on your phone and posting it on your account. Make sure to use the hashtag (#ChalkLetterChallenge) and tag me in the photo so I can follow your progress! If you don't have Instagram, you can leave a comment or shoot me an email to let me know you're joining in!

After that it's pretty simple. Each day there is a different word for you to practice. I tried to pick words that would be relevant to chalk lettering work, the season, and--in their entirety--include all the letters of the alphabet. After you've lettered your word, snap a photo and share it on Instagram with the hashtag! (Or share it on whatever social media site you like best.)

I will be following the hashtag and I would love to see your unique work and your progress. If you miss a day, no worries! February is going to be a really  busy month for me, so I will probably miss a day here and there too. You can absolutely use more than one prompt word in your design or catch up on missed words anytime.

My hope that we can share tips and tricks, and maybe I can get in some Periscope tutorials too! I'm definitely not a chalk expert, but I have been doing paid and unpaid chalk projects for a while and I would love to keep growing my skills. I hope you'll join me!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...