Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Art: It's the Best Thing

So by now most of you have seen the shop that I opened on Society6, and if you follow me on Instagram, you've seen the daily drawing challenges I'm participating in. Pushing myself to get back into regularly creating art is one of the best things I've done lately.

 
Art has been a big part of my life since I can remember. I grew up drawing, painting, sculpting, taking pictures, and writing. I had a legacy of artists who went before me, including my grandfathers and my parents. I was surrounded by inspiration, and encouraged to pursue different artistic projects.

In high school I took pottery classes, art, textiles, and different writing classes that further fueled my love for creativity. I never thought of myself as a great artist, just a kid living life through a creative lens.

Sometime after college I slowly stopped doing a lot of the art that I loved. I began to forget what it felt like to make something, to enjoy the process of creating, to share my work with my family and friends. I think I lost the ability to appreciate the little things, to see the details and capture them.

Then last month I heard about this thing called #DoodleADayMay and thought it sounded like a fun project. Each day there was a different one-word prompt, what you did with it was entirely up to you. Forcing myself to make a new art piece each day quickly reminded me of why I used to love art so much.


It sounds strange to say, but I feel more like myself now. The little girl who loved to draw ponies and rainbows and live life in stories is back. I'm excited for each day, excited for the prospect of making something, of challenging myself, of imagining. When I'm not creating, I'm thinking of new ideas, wondering what I will draw next. And my art supplies are never very far away.

I'm thankful that God gives us things, shards of who He is, to use in this life. I know God is a master artist, a creative Being. His designs are before us every day; the veins in a leaf, the colors in a galaxy, the beauty of the human body. He took joy in everything He created, calling it good, and we, human beings, were the best. We are small representations of His image, and we get to share in aspects of who He is. I'm thankful that I get to make small shadows of the things He has created.


I'm also so thankful for the support I've received from all of you! I've already sold some items from my shop, and I've been getting such kind feedback on my artwork. It means a lot to have your support and encouragement!

You can always find my latest creations on Instagram and Tumblr, and find my shop designs organized newest to oldest here. If you like what you see, please share my shop with anyone else who may be interested! Also, there is FREE worldwide shipping going on through June 7!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...