Thursday, January 3, 2013

Whole30: Sharing = Caring (Including More Recipes!)

Well here we are at day two of the Whole30 and surprisingly enough, I'm still feeling good! (Also surprising, I'm writing a blog post for a third consecutive day. That doesn't usually happen. Like. Ever.)

After reading the scary "Whole30 timeline" post I shared in my last blog entry, I woke up expecting the worst. (Headaches are supposed to start on days 2-3.) While I had a few minor irritating headaches in the morning and afternoon, it was nothing like a crazy hangover headache. So either I should expect more tomorrow, or maybe I'm skipping this phase.

I also felt a little sleepy during some portions of the day, but nothing that interfered with my normal workflow. I haven't had too many cravings, yet, but for a moment I glanced at a leftover cinnamon roll in the fridge and thought that if I wasn't doing the Whole30, I'd totally snatch that sucker up! Needless to say it, along with a few other items, were deposited into the trash can.

A refreshing tumbler of black tea and orange slices helped beat the afternoon slump.

I didn't think I really ate that healthily over the course of last month, because let's be honest, I was downing the sugar like it was going out of style. But looking back, I think I ate more quality food during the week of Christmas than I have in a while (think homemade chili, a shrimp dish from Olive Garden, turkey and lots of fresh veggies). So who knows what the deal is, but so far, I'm still feeling really good. And happy. :)

Now, on to the things I have to share. First, let me talk about cost since I got a question (from the lovely Liz) on how much it cost to restock my pantry. I should clarify that on our first shopping expedition, we didn't exactly fully restock, because it's still looking pretty bare. We did end up buying a lot of fresh produce and meat, which will probably be the case throughout the Whole30.

Overall we purchased about $110 in food, but spent about $65 thanks to some gift certificates from work. Besides fresh items, we got coconut milk, chicken stock, olive oil, balsamic vinaigrette, almond butter, regular butter to clarify, juice, raisins, applesauce, tuna, spices and lemon and lime juice. We have yet to get some additional items (like coconut flour) to fill out our pantry supply, but we figured this would get us going.

Next, I would like to thank Cami for the encouraging words she left on my last post. It has meant a lot to me to have friends and loved ones encouraging me and sharing their support. So now it's my turn. If you are considering the Whole30, let me share the love and say, you can TOTALLY do this! Everyone is capable of changing their eating habits for 30 days and through that, making good lifestyle changes. And the best part, you'll feel amazing! So go for it, girls and guys! I believe in you. :)

Finally, I have two recipes to share (by request)! And even if you're not doing the Whole30, you should try these because they are simple and so delicious!

Pan Seared Salmon Filets with Roasted Almonds & Lemon
(Serves two)
Ingredients:
- 2 salmon filets (6 - 8 oz.)
- 1/2 lemon
- 6 crushed almonds (you can add more if you're sans Whole30 and an almond lover)
- 3-4 tbs. olive oil
- salt to taste
- 4 dashes of pepper (per filet)
- pinch of basil (per filet)
- pinch of parsley (per filet)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
-  hint of cayenne
Toast almonds in sauce pan with 1 tsp. olive oil until darkened, season with salt if desired. Remove and set aside almonds. Place 1-2 tbs. of olive oil in pan, add salmon filets on medium heat, season with salt, pepper, basil, parsley, crushed garlic, cayenne. Allow salmon to cook 3-5 minutes until underside turns white, then flip and repeat seasoning. Allow salmon to cook all the way through, then add almonds and squeeze lemon over filets. Allow salmon to sit 1-2 minutes on low heat to absorb lemon flavor, then serve.

Broccoli with Garlic
(4 servings)
Ingredients:
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets (about 3 cups)
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt and pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Steam broccoli or cook in a large pot of lightly salted water until tender-crisp, about 6 minutes. Drain and pat dry (drying not necessary if steamed in holder). In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds until lightly golden (no not allow garlic to brown). Add broccoli, salt pepper and red pepper to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally until warmed through (not long).

I'm off to make some deconstructed hamburgers for dinner, so we'll see how that goes. I'm also going for my first meal out tomorrow (lunch with my mom), so we'll see what I can find to eat! We're hitting up a place with a really great salad bar (I just may be the freak that brings her own dressing along). C'est la vie.

2 comments:

freelywritten said...

Im loving follow you whole30 blog. I am not doing the whole30, however. It is still encouraging for recipes and hearing your story is motivating for me to exercise and eat well:)

Elise Loyola Mance said...

Thanks, Kim! Glad I can share some motivation! (And recipes.) :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...