Saturday, January 5, 2013

Whole30: Cravings Central + Recipe

Today I woke up with only one wish--to stuff my face with cereal. Preferably Cinnamon Toast Crunch, but I'm not picky.

I've also been craving bread. Lots of bread. Rolls, slices, pizza dough (yeah, don't look at pictures of pizza dough when you want bread, it does not help). A restaurant in town makes really good french bread, and my mom and I went there for lunch yesterday. I can happily say I resisted, but it. was. hard.

Tonight we went grocery shopping for dinner at a local hometown-y store. We were walking down one of the aisles... with bread... ug, bread! And I forced myself to look away. Of course on the other side of the aisle, what did I see? Cereal. (Cue angry face.)

My cravings haven't really been that bad yet. I mostly crave something bad for a few seconds as I remember those days when I could just grab a handful of whatever (Cheez-Its, peanut butter, cereal!) and just stuff my face. Yes, I admit, all I've wanted to do lately is stuff my face.

On the flip side, I've been feeling really good. I only get slight headaches when I'm hungry and I'm not too cranky. I only get a little psychotic when I can't find something, or feel frustrated. But thankfully, it quickly passes. So things in that department are going well.

Workouts have also been going well. Today I did three miles (walk-run-walk-run-cool down) on the treadmill and then some weight training. Not bad for the fifth day back in the gym. I'm already feeling increased energy levels thanks to the Whole30. So yes, gym love is totally happening! :)

And though I'm only on day four, I'm already thinking about what I'm going to do once the Whole30 has been completed. Yeah, it's early, but I can't let myself get back to the way things were with too much fast food and too many sweets. Right now I'm contemplating two "allowance" meals, which will be healthier choices but still fast food, or food at sit-down restaurants. Those would be Wednesday night (with the youth group kids) and Sunday afternoon (we usually do lunch out with my family). The rest of the time, meals would be planned out and mostly Whole30-compliant. I do think I will allow some dairy back in, because hey, I love my milk. And some bread, whole wheat and of course, in moderation. But that's just what I'm thinking now. It could always change.

And now, on to the recipe. We made deconstructed burgers for the past two nights in a row. The first night I stuffed them with garlic and scallions and topped them with spices. They turned out pretty good, but not as good as the second night when we made taco burgers! Mmm mmm. So I am going to share the taco burger recipe with you, because it totally rocks my taste buds.

First attempt at deconstructed burgers with garlic-fried snow peas and carrots.
Deconstructed Taco Burgers
Ingredients:
- We used this recipe for homemade taco seasoning in place of a packet, however we didn't have pepper flakes so we used two pinches of cayenne. Prep the seasoning according to directions.
- 2 scallions, finely diced
- ground beef, rolled into baseball-sized portions
Make a bird's nest in each beef ball using your thumb. Proportionally sprinkle taco mix and scallions into all bird's nests. Roll beef back into a ball, kneading mixture into meat, then flatten into patty. Place patty (or patties) into skillet and cook on medium heat, flipping until burger is evenly cooked. Once your burgers are done, if you're on Whole30, use a lettuce leaf in place of a bun and top with whatever condiments/veggies you like. We topped ours with mustard, homemade olive oil mayo, pickle slices, and cherry tomato slices. Snow peas make a great side, as does apple sauce.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...