Monday, January 7, 2013

Whole30: Day 6 + Wrap Recipes

Today's encouraging moment: my tightest pair of jeans is already feeling a little looser! I put them on expecting them to feel like they usually do: a tight squeeze. But today they feel really good, not too tight and a little extra give. It's nothing huge or crazy, but a nice little progress marker at day six.

I only ended up eating two meals today, which may have impacted my work out (that and the fact that I forgot to use my inhaler). Didn't go as far as I had wanted to, but it's kind of hard when your chest starts to tighten up. On the bright side, I didn't have any caffeine today and I didn't feel tired or head achy at all. Normally if I didn't have a cup of coffee in the morning, by the afternoon I'd be feeling it. So that was nice.

Tonight we repeated my chicken and veggie soup (recipe at the end of this entry) for dinner, this time doubling the recipe so we could have some for lunch tomorrow. We're also planning to try my egg drop recipe with beef broth to see how that tastes. I will share the recipe if it's better (than it was with chicken broth--okay, but not amazing).

We've also been delving into the realm of lettuce wraps lately. They really make a great substitute for bread (can't believe I'm typing this) when it comes to quick lunches and deconstructed burgers. Today we had tuna lettuce wraps for lunch. They were delish! So here are a couple wrap recipes for you to try.
Ground Beef and Water Chestnut Lettuce Wraps
Ingredients:
- 1 lb. ground beef, broken up into small bits
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1-2 scallions, chopped
- 5-7 diced water chestnut slices
- pinch of cayenne
- 2 pinches of basil
- 2 pinches of parsley
- spices sprinkled across pan while cooking meat: paprika, onion powder, salt, pepper.
Drizzle olive oil into a sauce pan, heat over medium with garlic while adding beef and stirring. Mix in scallions and continue to stir. Sprinkle/add all spices over meat. As meat nears completion (should be brown), stir in water chestnuts and cook for a few minutes over medium. Remove from heat and spoon into lettuce leaves. You may want to top meat with mustard, it adds a nice flavor. Wrap leaves and enjoy!

Tuna Lettuce Wraps
Ingredients:
- 1 can tuna fish in water (if you're doing Whole30, make sure to check the ingredients!)
- approx. 1 tbs. olive oil mayo (use this guide to make your own)
- 1/2 tbs. mustard (or more, depending on how much you like it)
- 2-3 diced pickle chips
- optional: diced onion
Mix tuna and condiments together with a fork, breaking tuna up into smaller pieces. Scoop tuna onto a lettuce leaf, wrap lettuce around tuna and you're good to go!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...