Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Gearing Up for the Whole30

The Whole30 is starting soon and I've heard from a lot of friends who have told me that they are IN! I can't tell you how excited I am to do this together! Nick and I are most likely starting on January 2 as we will be having a belated Christmas celebration with my family on the first. It's up to you when you choose to start, sometimes it's easier to keep New Years Day open.


Regardless of your start day, we're about a week away, and now is the perfect time to start gearing up for the Whole30, both mentally and in your kitchen. Mentally it's important to start thinking about what the Whole30 will involve (like no more toast or creamer in your coffee), and why you're doing it. It will be tough at first, so mental toughness is in order!

It helps me to think about the work aspect of the Whole30. It will be difficult, but it's a job worth working on. I will work to get my body back into a place that it needs to be. I'm not just subjecting myself to dietary torture, I'm working on a better me. Find a good mental place now, while times are easy, and go back there when times get hard.

You'll also want to start getting your kitchen ready for the Whole30. That means shopping for Whole30-approved food items and getting rid of restricted items, especially junk food! You'll want to start by planning some meals and shopping for the ingredients you'll need for those meals.

For starters, check out some Whole30-safe recipes I pinned on Pinterest. They include the recipes I've shared here on the blog, which you can also find by clicking this link and scrolling down. On Pinterest, I will make a note in the pin description box of the name of the recipe if needed (some pages might include multiple recipes, not all are necessarily Whole30-safe), and I will note any necessary substitutions to make, should a recipe be just shy of Whole30-safe. Keep checking back or follow the board as I will add to it over time.

 
It's important to always read ingredient lists and labels carefully when you're on the Whole30. Even so-called "healthy options" may include things like soy or sugar substitutes, or other things not allowed when on the Whole30. It may seem daunting at first, but you will quickly get used to checking for bad ingredients, and learn which brands and items are safe.

These Whole30 downloads are also helpful as they include the program rules and a handy shopping list. Make sure to include snack items on your shopping list, like citrus fruits and veggies that you can take with you on-the-go. Be prepared to spend more money on what may seem like less food, but know that you're investing in better choices for a healthier, happier you.

I'm so looking forward to doing this in a group, some of us together, others farther away. As I mentioned before, I'll be using my blog to chronicle our adventures and share encouragement. I'll also be using things like Instagram and Twitter to share the daily aspects of doing the Whole30, and I'd love it if you did too! If you're participating, please add our group hashtag, #WeDoWhole30 to your posts. This way we can stay connected and check out each others' progress!

If you're a smartphone user, check out the Studio design app for iPhone or Android. It's a photo-editing app with TONS of graphics you can add to your pictures, including Whole30 designs! Check out how others have used the app to chronicle their progress on the Whole30. I use it to do a lot of my design projects, and used it on the icon above.


It's not too late to join us! Send me a message or leave me a comment and let me know if you are in! For local Iowa City friends, I'll be planning some events and meals for us to do together soon.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...